DP, RC, GM, Stable and tree diagrams

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 02:02:38 EST 2014

On 11/13/2014 11:51 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>
> > For us bottom-feeders it might be easier to understand why, for
> > instance, 7.0.1 started with RC (release candidates) while 7.0.0
> > started with DP (developer previews)
>
> Ben added definitions for DP, RC, and Stable at the top of the
> Downloads page:
> <http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/>
>
> GM is an older designation RunRev and some others no longer use. Back
> in the day it used to meam what "Stable" now means; before it in the
> sequence was often a "Golden Master Candidate" (GMC) which was similar
> to today's "RC".
>
> The definitions provided there help explain why sometimes we see
> builds of very limited scope go directly to "RC"; they usually contain
> no new features, and the only changes are limited to a bug fixes of
> limited scope.

Hardly adequate as those definitions do NOT explain why some releases
start with a DP and others start with an RC.

For instance: is 7.0.1 just a minor tidy up on 7.0.0 (further releases
realising we have made
a c*ck-up by releasing a 'stable' 7.0.0 rather too early), or is it
something with the same weighting as 7.0.0?

Presumably, not having lived in the South of Illinois for about 19
years, while having
sampled the 'delights' of RC Cola, I have not had the pleasure of trying
DP Cola!

I have given up drinking gassy drinks recently as it gives my 'hard
drive' bloat . . . LOL

Richmond.