hair-pulling frustration

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 13 17:11:44 EST 2014

Richmond wrote:

 > What might do some good is point out to RunRev that when they
 > released their Open Source version of LiveCode they undertook
 > to be more "touchy-feely" and more responsive to their users
 > . . . and, just possibly, they may be falling short of this.

Perhaps.  What should "touchy-feely" ideally translate to in terms of
specific actions?

 > Also, as I mentioned earlier, some of us are raving egomaniacs who
 > aren't going to do anything unless we get our egos tickled
 > as a result; hence my suggestion about T-shirts and so on.

That's a good idea.  Ego is very important, a key motivator in so many
aspects of life.  Mention in the About box is a start, but if a t-shirt
helps that seems easy enough to do.

I'd also like to see a Community Contributors page listing those who've
contributed to the project, and Steven at RunRev is keen to add that
with some other changes they're making to clean up the site's taxonomy.

 > As I mentioned earlier, WINE have a rather good way of doing things,
 >
 > and Canonical do with Ubuntu:
 >
 > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicorn/ReleaseSchedule
 >
 > maybe RunRev could do something like that.

You know I loves me some Ubuntu, but I have to acknowledge that their
six-month fixed cadence is a highly controversial thing, not least of
all within their office.

Last I heard they've decided to stick with the six-month cycle, but
they've discussed many other models and apparently got close to choosing
one of the alternatives a little while ago.

A fixed schedule is helpful in some respects, but is also limiting on
others.  Among other things it requires that work be broken up into
six-month blocks (or actually about 4 months, since the first month
after release requires planning the work for the next one, and the last
month is feature-freeze), and not everything fits into blocks of a fixed
size.

They do manage to pursue bigger objectives, like Ubuntu Mobile, Mir, and
other projects, but if those finish later than mid-way through a cycle
they may have to postpone rollout until the next one, losing time that a
different model wouldn't require them to.

Speaking of:

This week is the Ubuntu Online Summit, where v15.04 is being planned.
If you want to participate, or even list listen in to learn the process
by which Ubuntu is made, the schedule is here:
<http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1411/>

Yesterday I attended the File Manager session and Mark Shuttleworth's
keynote.  Learned a lot from both.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager