hair-pulling frustration

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:20:03 EST 2014

On 13/11/14 18:22, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Software is complex stuff.
>
> I don't think it was a mistake for Tim Cook to suggest we upgrade our
> Apple devices to the latest software version which later bricked some
> phones, and I don't think it was a mistake for Kevin to suggest that
> we use the latest version of his company's software.
>
> <snip>

Certainly, slagging off RunRev does nobody any good at all.

What might do some good is point out to RunRev that when they released
their Open Source version of LiveCode they undertook
to be more "touchy-feely" and more responsive to their users . . . and,
just possibly, they may be falling short of this.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, some of us are raving egomaniacs who
aren't going to do anything unless we get our egos tickled
as a result; hence my suggestion about T-shirts and so on.

One of the more important reasons Communism failed was its refusal to
acknowledge that complete, uninterested altruism
only exists in fairy stories, and the profit motive is very deeply
entrenched in human nature . . .

I believe there needs to be:

1. a set list of incentives on offer for bug detection.

2. a strictly defined procedure [a detailed bug-report form online ????]
for bug reporting.

3. a regular interval between dp/rc releases so that beta-testers are
aware of how much
time they have at their disposal to do any testing.

As I mentioned earlier, WINE have a rather good way of doing things,

and Canonical do with Ubuntu:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicorn/ReleaseSchedule

maybe RunRev could do something like that.

Richmond.