hair-pulling frustration

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 18:59:33 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>> I agree, which is why it benefits no one more than ourselves to test our
>> work with pre-release versions.
>>

>> Two problems, though:
>> 1) One can *either* stay with 5.5, *or* use any of the new features.
>> Without maintaining two codebases (impossible with livecode's monolithic
>> file), there is no way to do both.
>> 2) These prereleases just aren't ready for what they're called and
>> presented as.  I simply cannot believe that anyone who uses the debugger
>> would have signed off on it.
>>

> I'd like to raise these concerns with Ben and Kevin at my next meeting.
> It would be very helpful if you could point me to the bug reports that
> describe these issues.

That's the problem.  These are at a level that never should have seen the
outside to be reported as bugs.

That something unusual happens under certain circumstances is a bug.  That
the IDE window regularly pauses for seconds at a time, or stops taking
input, is impossible to not notice if you actually use it.

This is a commercial product that was released without testing; *that* the
paying customers are expected to file bug reports over what should have
been done before is the fundamental problem.

I have, however, added bugs 13997-9 about the failures of the checkpoints
in the IDE
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462