LiveCode - Where, How, and with Who ?

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Sat Nov 8 10:32:21 EST 2014

This has been addressed on this list before. Different people have different views. I don’t think LC will ever be one of the major development platforms.

I believe the general reasons that C++ and Java developers generally do not want to learn LC are first that LC does not give the developer that kind of fine control over the UI. LC is a constructor set of predefined pieces. You can modify the pieces to a large degree to fit you needs, but you essentially have to work with the pieces you are given. Developers are used to making their own pieces, so to speak.

Secondly, developers imagine the learning curve to be as difficult as what they know now. It’s the same reason people don’t want to switch rom Mac to Windows of vis versa. Another reason is that there are a number of things it cannot do, such as accelerated 3D graphics for example. And I for one hope they never try. That would be wasted money and time IMHO.

Other things that it can do, it cannot do as quickly as the other languages, if that matters. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. There is also the self propagating problem that there aren’t enough LC developers to make it an attractive development system to present to the purchasing agent.

And in the number one spot…. <drum roll> Developers need to be able to produce apps that other developers are going to be able to work with and update, and for multiple people to be able to develop the same app at the same time. Okay that’s two things. But the point is, there are TONS of out of work C++ developers to be hired. Same with Java. LC? Not so much.

Because of these reasons LC will not be able to woo these “professional” developers over any time soon. What is LC then? Simple really. It’s what Hypercard used to be. Software Development for  the Rest of Us. I can develop great robust apps in a very reasonable time frame, for the company internally, for education, and ever for specialized retail. I will not however be producing the next Microsoft Office or Adobe product.

I can live with that. I think there is a HUGE market for this kind of software development, but the cost of getting the word out is very substantial. Anyone wanna crowd source that?? :-) Otherwise we all need to be more proactive in being ambassadors for  the product. It may be that at some point we will reach a critical mass and it will take off like wildfire, but for now, it is what it is.

Bob S