Progress info from wget or curl?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Nov 2 17:26:51 EST 2014

Richard-

Sunday, November 2, 2014, 11:52:12 AM, you wrote:

> I must be slow this morning, because I can still only get shell to
> return with the final output from the command, the
> successfully-downloaded file, and my best effort at experimenting with
> wget's options still never yields anything from LiveCode's shell
> function except at the very end after wget completes.

No, it's me being caffeine-deprived and jet-lagged from the time
change. I missed that you want progress reports on the fly. Try
opening the process for neither, as non-intuitive as that sounds.

> But I've been so impressed with the performance of wget and curl that
> I'm considering replacing some libURL stuff in GUI apps with them,
> provided I can find a way to provide download feedback for the user.

wget has the disadvantage of only supporting GETs and POSTs. Curl will
do better, but has some annoying cross-platform differences. Httpie
does a better job and has a more intuitive syntax than curl, but it
doesn't yet support client certificates in a stable release.

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.