Quitting with the close box on Mac

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed May 28 19:51:39 EDT 2014

My Version? Excuse me? What?

A minor annoyance on Mavericks is that Text Edit does indeed close automatically when the last text file is closed, slightly less annoying, so does preview. Sadly, I do expect more apps to follow in the next version of OS X.

I do like the new saving behaviour tho, It was broken in the last version (mountain lion?) But now it works as expected. Yes, it's different from the 'save/save as...' approach, and in the beginning I was fearing loss of control, or non-standard files (again for plain files in text edit). But it works hidden, database-style, reliably, and doesn't introduce large storage demands, at least as fas as I could tell. It took me about an hour to understand, it simplifies workflow, and there is no need to remember if i've made a backup, or if i need to save vs. save as vs. export. It's certainly easier to understand for beginners, and if there'd be a Björnke doctrine, then 'make it easier for beginners' would probably be among the first rules, if not the primary doctrine.

In a sense, the recent discussion about an automatic backup for stacks... Mavericks automatic save system and complete version history is actually THE solution for that. Just imagine, never hitting save, but always having a save of every change you ever made within the stack itself, without cluttering your disk and filesystem with dozens of saves, it's amazing if it works properly... until the whole file is corrupted ;-)