7.0.0 dp 5

Phil Jimmieson phil at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed May 28 10:07:27 EDT 2014

Currently, if you save a stack with version 7 of LiveCode and try and open it with version 6.6.1 (for example) you get the message:

"Unable to open stack: Stack is corrupted, check for ~ backup file."

Could Rev not get LiveCode to read the version number off the stack when it tried to open it and report back a different message if you're trying to open a stack that appears to come from a later, incompatible version of LiveCode. This is especially important when we have so many versions of LiveCode that are current and it is easy to make a mistake and save the stack with a test version. Of course they can't retro-fit version 5 et al, but all the currently in progress versions and any future versions could have this feature.  The message you get could be something along the lines of:

"This stack cannot be opened by this version of LiveCode. It was most recently saved by a version of LiveCode newer than this one."

That would help people figure out what the problem was…

What do people think?