Writing to Mum in Glagolitic script

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat May 24 11:03:12 EDT 2014

I don't know whether to laugh or cry; but whatever I choose to do there
is a cautionary tale
in what has just happened to me.

For my PISMO program, for typing in Old Church Slavonic in Old Cyrillic
and Glagolitic I was
forwarded a font by an academic in that field that contained both those
writing systems
arranged in conformance with a Windows cyrillic format (i.e.
pre-Unicode) and suggested to
use that as a base for my fonts as they were completely free.

So I did that.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from a prof. in Germany stating that a
substantial component of my fonts
were derived from his Free but copyright fonts and he was "not a happy
camper" and wanted me
to remove those fonts from the ftp site where they were bundled with my
standalone.

I downloaded the prof's font: and "Lo and Behold", his font contains a
large number of the glyphs
that were also in the font I derived from [metrics, shapes, everything]
although they were laid out
in Unicode-compliant locations.

So:

1. I wrote an e-mail apologising to the prof., and assuring him that I
would remove those fonts
forthwith and that my "poaching" was unintentional.

2. Sat up most of the night making a new font.

3. Ran off a new version of PISMO with the new font:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/LANGTOOLS.html

What have I learnt?

1. Don't trust anything on the internet.

2. Don't trust academics (mind you, I have been fairly wary of them for
years).

3. Do everything for yourself from the ground up.