setProp handlers

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon May 19 20:09:21 EDT 2014

The User Guide says:
------------------------------
7.10.1 Responding to changing a custom property

When you use the set command to change a custom property, LiveCode
sends a setProp trigger to the object whose property is being changed.
------------------------------

This implies that it works when 'you' use the set command in your own scripts.

I've only ever used setProp and getProp based on my scripts getting
and setting custom property values and find it extremely useful. I've
never thought about the Property Inspector and whether it should or
shouldn't also send a getProp or setProp message but given a full 1
sec of careful consideration I could see the value of sending a
setProp message when I change a Custom Property via the Property
Inspector but I think it would be cumbersome if every time I just
looked at my Custom Properties in the Property Inspector it triggered
getProp handlers.

And for those who don't know, the Message Watcher can be used to track
and view getProp and setProp triggers as they are sent to objects, so
you can confirm they are firing at the right time.