Double-Value Unicode?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat May 17 13:54:13 EDT 2014

Maybe unnecessary for LC7, but for my work in LC6 (and anybody that's
interested), I put together the following functions for converting a
unicode surrogate pair to a single value and vice versa:

function unicodePairToNum pNum1,pNum2
    return (pNum1 - 55296) * 1024 + (pNum2 - 56320) + 65536
end unicodePairToNum

function numToUnicodePair pNum
   put trunc((pNum - 65536)/1024 + 55296) into num1
   put (pNum - 65536) mod 1024 + 56320 into num2
   return num1,num2
end numToUnicodePair

Thanks to Richmond for the link to unicode character calculations:
http://www.russellcottrell.com/greek/utilities/SurrogatePairCalculator.htm

One item that would be helpful to know is at what value does a unicode
character start being represented as pairs?  Is 65536 the upper limit for
single value characters?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director