repeat with messages

Jerry Jensen jhj at jhj.com
Fri May 16 22:52:19 EDT 2014

On May 16, 2014, at 6:33 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> There's a lot there, but if I'm following this correctly the answer to your question of whether you should have been able to anticipate that the wait could account for this Mac anomaly is no, and thankfully no will need to deal with it again once the Cocoa build is done because the need to do that for that one platform goes away then.

OK Richard, sorry for the TL;DR. Here is what I was trying to present:

Mark S. presented a line of code:
repeat with x = 100 down to 0 with messages

I was surprised to see, in a single line of code:
 repeat ... WITH MESSAGES
which isn't in the dictionary syntax description for "repeat".

Mark responded:
The "with messages" clause makes a repeat loop non-blocking.

I tried it - the compiler didn't complain, and it ran. I wondered:
WHAT DOES THAT DO? UNBLOCK AT EACH LOOP END?

Then I wondered:
IF ITS LEGAL AND USEFUL, WHY ISN'T IT IN THE DICTIONARY?

Sorry for the confusion. I still wonder. Over to you.
.Jerry

PS the thread is now out of control.