IDE oddities (was Re: Error Messages Are Evil)

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 22:42:50 EDT 2014

Devin Asay wrote
> [snip]
> Yes, I agree that sometimes concepts are too complex to describe in a
> short, neat label. But in the interface, perhaps the menu could show the
> effect of the ink visually, or maybe there could be a help button that
> would pop up a list explaining the inks in simple language.

This page explains the math of ink effects:
http://ssp.impulsetrain.com/porterduff.html

But the best way to understand ink effects is

1- creating a stack

2- import as control a transparent PNG image like:
http://pngimg.com/upload/orange_PNG811.png

3- import as control a second transparent PNG image like:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Earth_Western_Hemisphere_transparent_background.png/240px-Earth_Western_Hemisphere_transparent_background.png

4- Place the earth image over the orange. All orange leafs should be still
visible

5- select both images and group them...
The stack contains a group of two png images with transparency

6- Now... change ink effects on every element:
a) The Group
b) image Earth
c) image Orange

Results are difficult to predict, at least for me... :o