Unicode Really Does Just Work in LiveCode

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at runrev.com
Thu May 15 05:25:12 EDT 2014

On 15 May 2014, at 07:01, Peter W A Wood <peterwawood at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've come up with a set of tests to use to compare different languages Unicode capabilities. I call them the "Unicode Out Of The Box Tests". At the moment Apple's Cocoa & Objective-C is the top scorer with 15 out of 15. Livecode scores 12 out of 15.
>
> Despite what the scores seem to tell, the team at RunRev have done a fantastic job. They have made it so easy to handle Unicode. The LiveCode tests were much easier to write, read and understand compared to the Objective-C code. Take a look for yourself at https://github.com/PeterWAWood/UnicodeOutOfTheBoxTests

Funnily enough, this was covered in our marketing mailer yesterday ;)

http://summerschool.livecode.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=615

The hint I wrote shows how to do proper case conversions (i.e don't use toupper and tolower - they don't take language-specific rules into account). We do expect to add these into the engine core at some point but we'll need to come up with a framework for locales first.

Regards,
Fraser