Measuring CGI resource usage

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 14 11:54:28 EDT 2014

CGI is an uncommonly harsh environment, with the entire runtime life
cycle happening in the time it takes to satisfy an HTTP request. So I
tend to take great care in measuring both CPU time and memory with CGI
scripts, but I've found it difficult to get accurate measurements in the
server environment.

One commonly-recommended method is to use the "time" program, with the
--verbose option to include memory:

     /usr/bin/time --verbose ./livecode-server somescriptfile.lc

It seems on many systems that time program is implemented in an
incomplete way, showing artificially low values for memory usage.

top might seem a good option, but in practice it's useless since even
its tightest update frequency is less than the execution time of my scripts.

Any suggestions for something like /usr/bin/time but is actually
reliable, something I can attach to the command line call for an
accurate measurement of both time and memory?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems