Error Messages Are Evil

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Mon May 12 23:08:13 EDT 2014

Someone on this list (Richard Gaskin?) once observed that the difference between a tool and a product is that a tool only has to be able to be used properly, whereas a product has to be unable to be used improperly. A well-designed application should anticipate as much as possible users' likely confusion and prevent users from doing things by mistake. Error messages are part of this process -- but they should be more in the form of "in order to do x I must know y and z, please clarify…" or "did you mean a or b?" or "I'm sorry, you can't do x in this context, do you want me to…." Even better, the interface should be designed so that even these messages are encountered rarely -- consistency is a crucial part of this. The earlier Apple OSes used to do a good job on this, mostly. Later versions not so much. Windows has always done a lousy job with consistency -- I don't know how many times I've found that I can't paste into a Windows system window.

Sorry, you got me started….

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com