wait with messages

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun May 4 22:39:03 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:

> I would imagine that after that much time there would be an error or two
> in it, but I haven't come across specific inaccuracies, and I've been
> asking for months and haven't been able to find anyone else who can help me
> turn up any.
>
> As a User Guide it remains a good starting point to get the lay of the
> land, with the updated-with-each-release Dictionary for token details.

Maybe it's not an inaccuracy as such, but I think there is a gotcha for Mac
users new to LC when referring to the Dictionary and the User Guide. The
User Guide typically uses the terms Mac OS and Mac OS X as interchangeable
(Page 11 - 7.13.6 Menu Bars on Mac OS Systems [no mention of Mac OS X
menubars]. As the latest LC doesn't build for OS 9, and a new user to LC
isn't ever likely to think about building for OS 9, this is completely
acceptable and understandable. But, the Dictionary does distinguish between
Mac OS and Mac OS X because many of the references do date back to OS 9
compatibility. See the entry for specialFolderPath(). The problem arises
when an entry or example ONLY has a reference to Mac OS - see 'address' in
the Dictionary.

Any new user to LC who reads the User Guide and reads Mac OS will think OS
X, and that is basically correct. But when they go to the Dictionary and
see examples that are only Mac OS, they'll think they'll work on OS X and
there is a good chance they'd be very frustrated because they do exactly
what the example says but the do NOT get the result the Dictionary say they
should get.

Every example in the Dictionary for Mac OS [Classic] needs to be removed
and replaced with an OS X example if it doesn't exist, or if it does, a
much more useful iOS example, if applicable.

There are the odd entries in the User Guide where the differentiation
between Mac OS and Mac OS X is made (11.3.2 OS X file Types. 11.3.3 Mac OS
Classic File Types), I'm not sure 11.3.3 is of much use to anyone today.

I think the last version of Revolution to run on Mac OS was 2.6.1 so the
User Guide and Dictionary need to be standardised so that ONLY the term OS
X is used, or if the TM & Logo Police so dictate, Mac OS X. All references
to Mac OS should be removed as there is no longer a need for Classic
information.