Revsecurity.dll

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat May 3 14:15:39 EDT 2014

On 5/3/14, 12:30 PM, Klaus major-k wrote:
> No, I think this is about setting the file's visible
 > attribute via shell. "attrib -H" or something...

Yeah. That.

Personally I don't think it matters, but my client is worried that
novice users won't know what to click on. The folder contains only two
files -- the exe and revsecurity.dll. As I understand it, clicking on a
dll doesn't do anything (except maybe a notification) so it won't hurt.

The bigger concern for me is that the app won't function at all without
the dll, and if the user can't see it, they are likely to move the app
out of the folder, which will break it. Leaving it visible at least
gives a clue that there's something else there.

I have scripts in place that will re-write the dll to disk if it does
get separated, but that can fail if the disk is write protected or
permissions get in the way.

It would be nice if we didn't need those separate files. OS X apps have
one too (a dylib file) but it is inside the bundle so users don't
notice. That's what the client wants for Windows too, but we'd need to
talk to MicroSoft about that.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com