RELEASE: LiveCode 6.6

Martin Baxter mblivecode at harbourhosting.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 08:07:00 EDT 2014

On 23/03/14 08:45, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion!  I've tried to follow it, but the problem is I can
> get detailed instructions for how to install the pango 32 bit libs on
> earlier versions of Debian which had the ia32 libs. However this has
> vanished from the repositories with the latest releases to be replaced by
> multiarch, which of course is installed.
>
> I have come on an article from 2007 (!) which reports a similar problem and
> offers a fairly complicated workaround.  But that depends on having ia32....
>
> This is really a bit ridiculous.  64 bit is here to stay, so is Debian, lets
> just get it done.  I have tried installing the 7.0 preview, and the same
> thing happens there too.
>
> My version that I got installed and running is 6.1.1, so I guess I'll be
> sticking with it until a 64 bit release comes out.  I cannot be alone in
> having this issue surely?  Well, maybe....
>
> Peter

Peter,

FWIW, as noted earlier, I have a multiarch setup on Debian Wheezy and
xfce where 6.6 is installed and working. It was indeed difficult to set
it up in the first place, especially as my experience is limited and I
was a multiarch noob.

I worked out the dependencies from what is given in the docs and from
running ldd on a separate working system, and then very painfully
ferreted out which packages needed to be installed to satisfy them.
(Both luck and judgement were involved).

Of course Multiarch has first to be enabled,
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

then

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update

(One can then:
apt-get install package:architecture
)

According to the admittedly somewhat muddled notes I made at the time,
the following are the i386 packages that I actually installed. Of course
YMMV, depending on what is already on your system and what is applicable
to it. But installing these installed all the other requirements in my
case (that I care about - I don't need the more esoteric "optional"
capabilities for my purposes).

libc6
libx11-6
libxext6
libxcb1
libxau6
libxdmcp6
libgtk2.0-0
libgtk-3-0

After this livecode now runs acceptably. I say acceptably because theme
support remains imperfect, but I assume that is because of livecode's
emulated interface elements rather than the system itself.

Martin