Telnet on Android

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Mar 19 19:41:54 EDT 2014

On 19/03/2014 09:59, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Can you tell more about this? Is this a router in an existing network
> environment? Is this a router that is yet to be designed? Can you
> alter the software in the router?
>
> Normally, you'd log in on a router over http and change the settings
> in your internet browser. I would expect this to be possible on an
> Android device too.
That depends on your point of view, or your context. For me, I'd say you
"normally" telnet (or similar) to a router and use the efficient,
all-powerful command line interface. The majority of routers (Juniper,
Cisco, Draytek, Netgear, ...)  support a telnet interface.

OK, recent consumer routers will usually recommend browser-style
interfaces - but there's 20 years of tradition before that using
telnet-like interfaces to control routers. At least some routers will
have configuration options or commands that are not available, or
relatively clumsy to use,  through an HTTP interface.

-- Alex.