6.6 RC2 Release

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:39:30 EDT 2014

On 19/03/14 19:00, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 03/19/2014 03:13 AM, Richmond wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I am not going to take responsibility for your decision
>> to read the Use-List using a mobile device.
>>
>> LOL.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>> <everything from here on down has been removed to save mobile users
>> 'pain' and to decontextualise the posting>
>

> I don't know that there's any need to be so snarky.

This topic (shortening reposts) comes up about every 18 months. Old
chestnuts tend to make me (at least) snarky.

The useful thing about all the quoted bits from previous stuff in a
thread is that late-comers to a thread who have not read their way
through post-after-post can see everything in some sort of context.

While it may be a nifty thing to check the odd item on one's handheld;
and probably one could get housemaid's thumb/finger from scrolling down
all the stuff in a long thread; surely the advantage of having the
context well outweighs that, and a desktop PC and/or laptop is a
far better piece of gear from this sort of thing.

> It's a fairly common request in mailing lists that care be taken to
> avoid quoting unnecessary text in replies,

As I said above; this 'problem' crops up about once every 18 months.

The real 'problem' is that what might be deemed 'unnecessary text' by
Thee, may be deemed 'necessary text' by Me, and the other
way round.

> and it doesn't just annoy people on small screen devices.
>
> If only we can get people to stop nesting responses within quoted
> text, which can make for dizziness after a couple of rounds of
> replies. Of course, that's one of your favorite techniques...

Not mine alone.

> (Yes, I understand the logic, but it only really works for the first
> reply or two which makes it seem to me to be

> an arrogant strategy.

I don't entirely understand what you mean by "arrogant strategy".

What you will see is that I have taken your posting seriously, and tried
to reply seriously; and to do this I have had to nest

> I know this has been discussed here before, and I also see the problem
> is getting worse.)
>
> Warren

This discussion seems also to be bifurcating into the chestnut about
long nested texts, and the fag of trawling through them on handhelds.

I can see the gripe about both those points; although the
contextualisation, to my mind, over-rides the fag.

The thing about using hand-helds to read the Use-list is slightly
tangential, because, surely, scrolling through anything on
a hand-held is going to get pretty awful after a few minutes; whether
Use-List or not. I know that scrolling through stuff on my wife's
iPad has convinced:

1. Me not to get one.

2. Her to give it to our older son to use in lectures and at the library
at university over in Munich.

I cannot stand trackpads either, for exactly the same reason.

Richmond.