Problem with setting htmlText of field to empty in LiveCode 6.6 RC2

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Wed Mar 19 12:33:47 EDT 2014

On 19.03.2014 at 10:29 Uhr -0400 Tim Bleiler apparently wrote:

>Being a contrarian again, Jacqueline? I was all set to forget about
>this. I really hate posting bug reports that aren't bugs but I agree
>with you on this from my Livecode centric world view.
>
>Anyone else have any insights into the Livecode riddle of "when is
>empty not really empty"?

I believe Jacque is on the right track and this is a side-effect of
the way htmltext was implemented as an add-on (afterthought?) to the
existing field. My guess would be, which can be confirmed by someone
snooping the code, that htmltext always wraps the field content in
the p tag pair before returning it and it does not bother to check
whether the field is empty. Whether this is a bug or not is a matter
of opinion. Documenting it might be an easy way out.

RObert