I'm trying to rally the troops...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:33:44 EDT 2014

On 19/03/14 16:26, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>
>> On 19/03/14 11:28, Shawn Blc wrote:
>>> This would be a great feature for the Commercial version ;)  Another
>>> feature to differentiate the two versions.
>>
>> Raw Prawns!
>>
>> That would be a good thing for both versions.
>>
>> Having taken a quick shuftie at the Dictionary this morning, the idea
>> should not be insurmountable to implement.
>
> I agree that it would be best to produce some sort of enhancement for
> personal annotations that could be used by everyone, Commercial and
> Community users alike.
>
> In an ideal world LiveCode would be everywhere, with a solid majority
> of its users enjoying the free Community Edition - indeed, that may
> well be the case already.
>
> The Commercial Edition offers a proprietary license - that should be
> sufficient enticement for those who need that.
>
> For everything else, at least where a feature poses no logical
> conflict with the GPL (such as script encryption), parity between
> Community and Commercial is a valuable goal.
>
> My only hesitation here is with attempting to modify the existing
> Dictionary stack, esp. given the scope of changes the team is
> implementing for v7 and beyond.

I don't think there is much point with mucking around with the
Dictionary stack right now.

However, when we see what the Dictionary looks like in version 7:

1. Just the same but with more words.

2. Completely redesigned.

Either somebody can hack the Dictionary stack as it is [doesn't get me
vote],

or somebody can write a 'hack-stack' which people can use to add
features to the Dictionary stack, AND [very important]
UNDO changes they don't like.

When people think of additional features, I feel that the 'hack-stack' route
is a better bet than mucking around with the original thing - these could be
rather like those little things you dropped into your Mac OS 7,8,9
system folder
to enhance things: easily added and easily removed.

 From time to time Apple would then roll the more successful features into
their next release.

Richmond.