Problem with setting htmlText of field to empty in LiveCode 6.6 RC2

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:05:29 EDT 2014

On 19/03/14 15:39, Klaus major-k wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Am 19.03.2014 um 14:30 schrieb Tim Bleiler <bleiler at Buffalo.EDU>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After doing a quick check, this problem has existed for at least a couple of versions, but I just noticed it.
>>
>> I've only checked on a Mac.
>> When a new field is created it appears to be empty but the htmlText of the field is <p></p>.
>> The number of lines reported for the field is 0.
>> The text of the field is empty but the htmlText of the field is not.
>> If you set the htmlText of the field to empty then test if the htmlText of the field is empty it is reported as false.
>> Are others seeing this and is it a bug?
> since <p></p> is in fact the HTML equivalent to "empty/no text" I would not consider this a bug :-)

Just tested this in both LC 6.6 and 4.5; and the result is just the same:

set up 2 fields, "f1" and "f2" and a button with this script:

on mouseUp
    put the htmlText of fld "f1" into fld "f2"
end mouseUp

and you end up, indeed, with <p>/</p>
in field "f2"

what is interesting is that if you run this in the Message box:

put empty into fld "f1"

the htmlText of fld "f1" is still <p></p>

Which would argue that RunRev have set that like that intentionally.

I agree with Klaus!

Richmond.