Font sizes and Ubuntu versions

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 04:37:22 EDT 2014

This may be a bit of a niche problem [a niche consisting of me, myself
and I],
but problem it is, nevertheless (nice spot of grammatical inversion there):

A series of EFL standalones I authored with LC/RR 2.2.1 on Linux about
6/7 years ago
have been causing me some problems recently.

All of those stacks were authored with the textFields set to a fontSize
of 24.

Until recently I was running the PCs in my school on Edubuntu 7.10 and
Ubuntu 8.something, and
the textFields were displaying text at size 24.

I am gently changing my machines over to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS [and, thanks
to the very sound advice from
Mark Wieder, putting the 'Home' folder on a separate partition to the
'Root' partition; speeds things up no end].

BUT, now those standalones are displaying text at size 10!!!!!

This is a PIB to say the least.

So, here I am on my "day off" looking at the source stacks and feeling
foolish.

I have to do ONE thing, which I wonder how to do: and that is to
guarantee that the
texts will display at size 24.

I don't know whether the problem has been because the textSize was set
for each stack individually
(rather than for either the card or the stack), whether this is
something to do with the fact that they
contain the 2.2.1 Linux engine (that is easily rectified), or something
else.

HOWEVER, as these standalones are used to fairly good effect on an
almost daily basis I don't want to:

1. Chuck them out.

2. Put all the PCs back to Edubuntu 7.10.

3. Rewrite everything from scratch.

Richmond.