LC Commercial Update

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 18 18:57:31 EDT 2014

larry wrote:

 > It doesn't do any good to update to a new full of bugs IDE and waste
 > time programming.

That's exactly why working with these interim releases is so important.

After all, if no one tested that would only guarantee bugs won't be
found until after release.

Even if you don't intend to deploy with a given release, testing the
free Community Edition helps ensure that the issues that are important
to your apps can be identified and addressed before we get to a version
you would consider upgrading to.

I used to put off testing myself, hoping others would do it for me.  But
over time I've found that all that does is prevent me from taking
advantage of a new feature I need because I didn't catch a regression
issue that was critical for my app.  I've learned.  I don't do that anymore.

These days I always work with the latest test build, and use any older
version only at build time, and even then only in specific and
ever-fewer cases.

The changes in the v6 series may seem minor in terms of bullet points,
but there's a lot going on under the hood, so regression potential
really needs our attention.

V7 will be even more sweeping, so even those who don't intend to use any
new build until then will want to use the free Community Edition of v6
to help ensure we have a solid baseline to work with for v7.

V6.6.0 rc2 is available here:
<http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/>

I hope everyone will jump on this and make it the most stable build yet.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World