Famous at last, though not in the best way

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 18 10:43:17 EDT 2014

Mike Kerner wrote:

> By the way, it appears the hackers were trying to uncover fraud at Mt. Gox,
> so they're actually being considered heroes, which is a little weird...

Weird or not, nice to see LC in the role of hero code.

> And by the way, this is EXACTLY why when I download some random stack that
> someone here has thrown in that allegedly does something very cool, I only
> open it in an isolated VM until I can have a better look at it, first.

Hard to beat a full VM for containment, but for those of you who may
need to run stacks from unknown sources within your main system I wrote
a simple tool to help with that.

4W Secure Runner provides checkboxes for all the categories in the new
securityPermissions property added in v6.1.3, so you can conveniently
turn on the permissions you want to allow and then select a stack to open:
<http://www.fourthworld.com/rev/channel/4wSecureRunner.livecode.gz>

As with the older secureMode property (which is still supported, though
more strictly than in older versions), once the security permissions are
set they can only be made more restrictive during the current session,
but cannot be lifted.  So if you run this tool, be sure you've saved any
work you need first, since turning off the "disk" option will prevent
any reads or writes to disk.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World