Famous at last, though not in the best way

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Mon Mar 17 13:32:00 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

The offending application was built with version 5.0.0 of LiveCode. That
is long before the improved script security features introduced during the
6 series. It is now much harder to get a memory dump of a script from a
password-protected stack. It would require catching the memory dump at
exactly the right time - which is not the easiest thing to do without the
original source code.

To put this in perspective, the theoretical ability to dump memory has
been present since the early 90s. This is the first recorded time I¹ve
seen of someone actually doing it. It is much, much harder in the latest
version. However there isn¹t any way we could make a script 100% secure
against this sort of attack without moving to full compilation. Even then,
there will always be ways of decompiling some of any application,
accessing the variables etc like there is in every other app in any
language.

Full compilation would be better, but when you consider the number of
processor architectures and platforms we support, its non-trivial to say
the least. It *is* something we eventually plan to do after every single
other thing out there is done but its going to be a very long time.

In the mean time, the security is about as good as we can make it in the
present version and far better than the version used to do this.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can code