New chunks

Benjamin Beaumont ben at runrev.com
Thu Mar 13 12:54:09 EDT 2014

Dear list member,

Thank you for your input on this important matter. Having taken all the
posts into account and discussed it internally we are inclined to implement
the following in LiveCode 7.0:

1) Add a 'trueWord' chunk type to provide access to the Unicode Standard's
notion of word-breaking.
2) Add a 'sentence' chunk type to provide access to the Unicode Standard's
notion of sentence-breaking.
3) Add a 'paragraph' chunk type to provide access to the Unicode Standard's
notion of paragraph-breaking.
4) Add a synonym 'part' for the current 'word' chunk type.

This will allow LiveCoders to update their scripts to use the newer syntax
in anticipation of a future change to make the behaviour of the 'word'
chunk match the new 'trueWord' behaviour.

We would anticipate changing the meaning of 'word' with our 'Open Language'
project. It requires us to create a highly accurate script translation
system to allow old scripts to be rewritten in new revised and cleaner
syntax. It is at this point we can seriously think about changing the
meaning of existing tokens including word. Existing scripts will continue
to run using the existing parser, and they can be converted (by the user)
over time to use the 'newer' / 'more refined' syntax we are planning.

Warm regards and thank you again for your participation in this discussion.

Ben

Benjamin Beaumont . RunRev Ltd

LiveCode Product Manager
mail : 25a Thistle Street Lane South West, Edinburgh, EH2 1EW
email : ben at runrev.com
company : +44(0) 845 219 89 23
fax : +44(0) 845 458 8487
web : www.runrev.com