New chunks

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at runrev.com
Wed Mar 12 13:08:35 EDT 2014

On 12 Mar 2014, at 17:02, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/03/14 18:07, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> On 3/12/14, 5:12 AM, Fraser Gordon wrote:
>>> The library that we use for low-level Unicode stuff
>>
>> Just curious, do you know how much this will inflate the file size of
>> a standalone? (Not that it matters really.) I'm thinking about the
>> dictionary size(s) as well as the library itself.

If you include everything… about 30MB. Not exactly small.

> This is going to be the price of having an IDE that is capable of singing, dancing and brewing coffee at 5 in the morning: standalone bloat.
>
> I wonder if all the jazzy new additions could not be hived off, so that everything is modularised, so one could run down a checklist of capabilities
> one's standalone uses before build-time? The one could "trim the fat" to whatever one's standalone required, rather than carting around
> a lot of excess baggage.

We definitely don't want to force anyone to include this mass of data if they don't need it. As you suggest, the standalone builder will allow you to configure how much of this data you want, though we've not yet decided the best way to do this. Some will always be necessary for the engine to function, but we're trying to minimise that.

Regards,
Fraser