Linux 64 Bit builds

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 12 12:28:29 EDT 2014

Fraser Gordon wrote:

 > On 12 Mar 2014, at 15:39, Malte Brill wrote:
 >
 >> Also, can anybody point out the requirements for running liveCode
 >> under Linux? I have a puzzling situation, where on a vanilla UBUNTU
 >> 13.x install text is not rendered and the gui is semi transparent.
 >> Anyone else seen that? I guess I just miss some library on the
 >> UBUNTU install, but can not figure out which.
 >
 > Usually it indicates you are missing a 32-bit version of libPango or
 > libGTK. Text rendering now depends on them (though I guess the
 > requirements haven't been updated to reflect this).

Thanks for that info, Fraser.  Helpful as it is, with a consumer-focused
distro like Ubuntu (the most popular Linux distro, accounting for some
30% of all desktop installs) it's no longer an option to try to rely on
requiring users to dive into Terminal with apt-get just to run one app.

For all the things I enjoy about Linux, Multiarch dropped the ball on
backward compatibility, so it's up to app devs to update their builds.

I believe Mark Weider has already successfully built a 64-bit compile of
the Linux engine - Mark, is that correct?

What's required to make that a part of the release process going forward?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World