Cocoa

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 12:15:00 EDT 2014

On 09/03/14 17:02, Terence Heaford wrote:
> I can’t make a decision on whether or not it is wasted because RunRev have not made a statement on what a port to Cocoa is?
>
> Even though they are working on it they do not seem to want to expose their intentions.

You are right there.

I think, to be fair, RunRev are a bit like a newly married man; still
behaving like a bachelor, not having woken up
completely to what being an Open Source company entails.

However, one of the reasons they may be keeping their cards close to
their communal chest is because
they feel that they are unsure of how long things will take to implement

  . . . this is another way of saying that they, like most of us, have
realised that however lovely one's Gantt chart may look,
in reality everything will take at least twice as long . . .

so are trying to protect themselves by not making promises which they
probably cannot keep; or, at least, not
keep within the time-frame they initially, possibly a bit naively,
envisaged.

-------------------------------------

There is also a difference between openness that is useful, and being
too open; and working out where along that continuum
is the right place to stop being open is a hard thing to work out.

> Why?
>
> RunRev, not me, said they would port LC to Cocoa. I would just like to use it.

They did, and I'm sure, unless something extremely untoward happens,
they will, but not as quickly as you and a lot of other
people want it.

I'm sure you would like to use it: I would love to tell people who use
Windows Vista, 7 and 8 that My Devawriter Pro will function 100%
on their machines: it won't right now, and it won't until RunRev
succeeds in blocking those versions of Windows imposing their built-in
system fonts into Unicode textFields in standalones resulting in a
really bad mismatch where fonts with additional chars in
the Personal Private Use Areas are in use. I'm waiting, and I bet you a
cartload of fresh manure my wait will be longer than yours.

Meanwhile I'm just getting on with all the problems with my various LC
projects I cannot get away with blaming on the "turpitude"
of the people in Edinburgh!

> Because RunRev stated they were going to port LC to Cocoa I thought LC was worth a try.
> I am trying it, in a limited way and my view is that it could do with improvement in the Mac arena by having access to native controls, not emulated.
>
> So, what does the port entail and what is the final goal and timescale?

I don't know why we have to know what the actual port will entail?

Frankly my head is full of so much background noise at the moment I'm
not interested.

The "final goal" is, surely, to have a Cocoa port? I think that has been
stated already.

Timescale? Longer than you want, longer than they want, and a hell of a
relief once it is done.

> I suppose it’s a simple question and that could be answered simply.
>
> But hasn’t, why?
>
> I suppose when you purchase something you firstly evaluate if it is what you require.
>
> To evaluate it you need all the facts.
>
> When will RunRev publish the facts about the Cocoa port?

Probably once they have effected that port.

If they publish "the facts" [slippery things, 'facts'] now, you will
have absolutely no way of knowing
how those 'facts' work in the implementation as you won't have a Cocoa
version of Livecode to
play around with; so that publication wouldn't really be very useful.

> All the best
>
> Terry

Best, Richmond.