Nested Repeat loops

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Fri Jun 20 23:21:18 EDT 2014

On 06/20/2014 08:18 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Wondering if anyone has an elegant way of exiting all the way out of a set
> of nested repeat loops., e.g:
>
> repeat for...
>     repeat for...
>        repeat for....
>           repeat for
>              if ..... then <I want to exit out of the outermost repeat loop
> here>
>           end repeat
>           <do this and that>
>        end repeat
>        <do this and that>
>     end repeat
>     <do this and that>
> end repeat
>
> Right now, I set a flag to true when the exit condition is met then test it
> in the <do this and that> stuff.  Works fine but feels a little kludgy.
>
> Pete

Maybe I've completely failed to understand what it is you don't like
about your current method, but...

Would it be practical and feel cleaner to wrap your nested repeats
inside a command, say,'doLoop'. When your 'if' condition in the nth
repeat is met, you 'exit doLoop'. You only have to reference and check a
condition once this way and you cleanly exit the entire nested structure
exactly when and where the condition is found.

A useless example that works:

Create a card with four fields and a button. Put this script in the button:

  on mouseUp
    doLoop
    answer "exited loop"
end mouseUp