Put a stack into a variable?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 13 10:26:54 EDT 2014

I'd like to put a stack into a variable, but without reading the stack
file from disk.

Is there a way to do this?

I'm considering a scenario in which we have a standalone with the
securityPermissions all turned off except "network".  At that point we
have a app more secure than any browser.  So far so good:  we can
download and run any stack with complete safety for the local system.

In that environment I'd like to be able to let the user modify the
stacks, and save those back to the server.

I have the POST worked out with encryption and all that, so that much is
good - for data within the stack, but not the stack itself.

It would be very convenient in this scenario if I could somehow get the
data that comprises the stack from memory and put it into a variable to
send back to the server.

Stephen Barncard has done some experiments with the copy command, but
I'm unable to find a way to obtain the binary date from the clipboard
contents when they contain LC objects.  Also, it would be nice to be
able to also get any substacks, but the copy command only copies the
stack itself.

Ideally what I'd have is the same as we get from doing this:

   put url tPathToSomeRemoteStack into tVar
   go stack tVar

At that point, tVar contains the stack data - substacks and all, just as
if it were read from disk.

So now the trick is to find a way to get that from the current copy of
the stack file in memory - any ideas?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World