Be, OpenDoc, P & S and...

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 12:45:45 EDT 2014

Yes, there was Publish-&-Subscribe in it, but the really-amazing thing about OpenDoc is that everything would have been document-centric, versus application-centric like it is now and has been forever. In any document/application you would systematically use the components of your choice: your favorite text-editing object for ANY text-editing, your favorite graphics-editing obj for ANY graphics-editing,and so-on. Furthermore, these widgets would interoperate with each other, automatically share screen real-estate, negotiate among themselves ... like active software agents, aka Artificial Intelligence. It would have been.. GREAT! Especially nowadays with all of the horsepower we have. Sigh!

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:25:37 PM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Lynn Fredricks <
lfredricks at proactive-intl.com> wrote:

> Remember
> OpenDoc? Publish and subscribe? :-)

Oh, yes.  Publish & Subscribe seemed perfect for some of what I was doing
back then.  And any minute now, that update from my excel sheet to my word
document may finally complete . . . (but I'm not getting my hopes up).

They really overlooked that things had to complete in finite time--and I
had a fast machine for the time.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462