ScreenRect bug or not

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 8 14:28:28 EDT 2014

Mark Wieder wrote:

 > Richard-
 >
 > Thursday, June 5, 2014, 7:19:07 AM, you wrote:
 >
 >> The IDE rewrite is AFAIK very early-stage, a logical necessity
 >> from the Open Language initiative and the implications thereof
 >> related to extensibility.  I imagine we'll be hearing more about
 >> it as it begins to move from sketchpad to code, but right now
 >> it's all about supporting OL so I don't believe there's much
 >> concrete that can be said about it until OL gets fleshed out more.
 >
 > If there's a secret project going on behind the scenes to produce a
 > new IDE, out of sight of the github process, then it's hardly worth
 > the effort to ferret out fixes to existing bugs.

Mark, you're one of the smartest people I know, so I'm having a hard
time understanding why would you choose such an unnecessarily
emotionally-laden word like "secret"?

A secret is a willful attempt to conceal, but we have no indication that
anyone's doing that.

So before anyone runs off to the hardware store to grab pitchforks for
storming the castle over some imagined IDE conspiracy, please kindly
take a moment to consider only what I wrote, and I'll try to make it
even clearer here:

AFAIK there is no other RunRev-borne IDE in existence (the community has
several), just ideas, sketches, possibilities and imaginings which may
become fleshed out into some actual thing in the future once Open
Language is far enough along to make such a necessary change in the IDE
to support it achievable.

And as we all know, Open Language is among the least-urgent of all the
Kickstarter goals, so don't expect it before critical fixes like
Unicode, Cocoa, and multimedia are solidly completed.

And don't expect any IDE that depends on Open Language until Open
Language is far enough along to be dependable.

So in the meantime, the core dev team uses the same IDE as the rest of us.

And even when a new IDE project can be started on the foundation of a
nearly-completed Open Language-based engine, we can anticipate that
moment will be many months from now, and will take many months more to
complete, so any work done on the current IDE seems likely to have a
useful shelf life.

--
   Richard Gaskin
   LiveCode Community Manager