Running an LC app from the command line

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 5 17:02:26 EDT 2014

Dar Scott wrote:
 > Is -ui an official feature?

Faceless command-line apps are an important and widely-used use-case in
the LiveCode world, going back for decades.

In fact, I much prefer using Linux standalones to LiveCode Server and I
know others who do as well, but then there are also installers and other
utilities that make the range of uses quite broad.

While LC may excel at GUIs, there are so many useful things it can do
from the command-line that I can't see it going away.

On the contrary, there's been discussion over the least year about
cleaning up some of the old CLI args it used to support so we can use
those flags for our own purposes, so apparently the intention is not
merely keep it, but make it ever better.

The more I learn about bash, the more I'm re-thinking some of my own
apps in terms of dual-mode support, where in addition to the GUI I also
provide a CLI interface that allows the app to take on a role in
integrated workflows....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World