Maiden speech from an old man

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 11:07:18 EDT 2014

On 27/07/14 18:03, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM, hh <hh at livecode.org> wrote:
>
>>> [Richard H. wrote:] Listserves and usenet on the one hand, and web fora
>> on the other, are completely different creatures.
>>
>> No, some of the users are. It's sometimes just another kind of thinking,
>> of being ready or not for changes.
>>
>> Change <> better.
> It is *not* just resistance to change.  I can navigate email or usenet far
> faster than a website.  More importantly, it's part of my ongoing mail
> feed, and I don't have to specifically look.  I have very low volume lists
> (a few a year), and lists with volume that dwarf this one.  At the moment,
> I'm months behind on most of my favorite fora, and current or nearly so on
> all but one of my listserves (save one which is filtered).
>
> I haven't made it to usenet in over a year, I think.
>
> And the ability to filter email or usenet is head & shoulders above any
> forum software I've ever seen.

I'm with you.

The only 2 advantage I can see with the Forums are:

1. The ability to attach and image.

2. The ability to attach a stack.

But, just now, I spent 10 minutes checking whether each section had "27
July" next to it,
and if it did, opening that section to see if any posts from 27 July fed
into my interests.

What a lot of time spent when the Use-List posts just come sequentially
into the window
of my e-mail client (Thunderbird) in a way that is eay to run through.

Richmond.