HTML5 Campaign

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Jul 21 14:03:09 EDT 2014

Pledge or not as you (or any individual) like. You had asked about the
nature of the campaign - whether it would go forward to not regardless
of whether the goal was met - and I was responding to that to try to
clarify (at least as I understand it).

Adding HTML5 to Livecode via a pure Open Source effort is unlikely to
happen very quickly (if ever). Open source efforts are generally
notoriously slow compared to commercial development efforts.

I want HTML5 as a deployment option for my LiveCode projects, in
addition to all current platforms. I'd like it sooner rather than very
much later (or never), so I pledged to the project the cost of 2 Pro
licenses (as we have 2 Commercial Pro licenses for the current offerings
from RunRev). I also pledge a comparable amount to the original
Kickstarter campaign. I feel I have received and continue to receive my
money's worth from that original campaign and I expect I will also
receive my money's worth from the HTML5 campaign.

I also agree that some disparity still exists between iOS and Android in
LiveCode, but I have seen the disparity shrink as a result of the
original Kickstarter campaign and Runrev's efforts to ensure parity
where possible. While Android appears on the rise compared to iOS, the
multitude of stats at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems suggest
that Android and iOS as still essentially comparable with regard to
installed bases. I expect that as Android continues to gain market
share, RunRev being no fool, will continue to close the parity gap
between Android and iOS in LiveCode.