Update of old apps

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Wed Jul 16 13:21:31 EDT 2014

What Mark said is spot on.

Personally I don't like working on something that is out of date / legacy
code and would quote the client on everything that would need to be done.
If the client can't afford the costs of redeveloping and it's possible to
work on the existing application while still being profitable, I would do
the updates, while at the same time stressing that if they are wanting to
do future updates they will have to strongly consider all your suggested
updated.

If on the other hand if you would have no choice but to redevelop, being
open with clients and explaining all the associated costs and the benefits
of redevelopment costs usually works wonders. If the client refuses to
accept the costs, I would probably  turn down the job (unless of course
there was a good reason to keep the client happy). The stress of having to
work under such circumstances is never worth it, especially if the clients
derives all the benifits and you get little in return.

Good luck
Simon