[ANN] The IntelliSense Plugin is on the Road

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 14:56:44 EDT 2014

Dear LiveCode Users,

This is the time to release our Intellisense plugin to the Community.

This plugin is the result of a challenge made with myself: how to have
a window displaying a contextual list on the top of the script editor,
but without changing any code in the editor?
The first version of the plugin was released with the Excel Lib
Commercial version to help coding with the now, more than 200
commands, we have in this Library.

At this moment, the plugin is capable to auto-complete the word being
in edition in the script editor window. Type the begining of the
keyword, wait for the 3 dots mark and hit the tab key. Then the plugin
displays a list of proposals or it "autocompletes" the word if it
exists only one possibility.

The dictionary of possible keywords is composed by:

- the LC commands
- the LC functions
- the LC properties
- the LC messages
- the datagrid library
- the Libraries in use

We have a color for the LC keywords (blue) and a color for the
libraries keywords (green). In a future version these colors will be
customizable.
We have also an icon by family keywords (commands, functions, etc), to
be able to quickly identify the keyword kind.

Here is an example of possible Messages when the keyword start by: "preop"
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/images/Preview/Intellisense_Plugin/IP_Preopen.png

We can navigate through the list by hitting the up and down keyboard
keys, or clicking on the list to choose a keyword. Press the return
key for validating the choose, or press esc for closing the list.

The plugin is also the good companion for finding the command you have
read somewhere, but you don't remember the exact writing. Instead of
searching in the doc, you can start the word by "?" and the plugin
will help you. An example with searching the "column" keywords for
coding with the datagrid object:
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/images/Preview/Intellisense_Plugin/IP_Searchingcontains.png

The plugin is refreshing it's dictionary every time we are adding or
removing a library (stacks in use), and have been tested with
libraries such as SQL Yoga, Animation Engine and our Excel Library.

In future versions, more contexts detection will be added. For example
it will be possible to have:

- a filtered list of keywords (the previous word is "on" or "command"
or "pass" or "exit", so the list is only containing "Messages"
keywords)
- the list of declared variables in the dictionary.

The plugin is quite experimental and not perfect, but I'm using it all
the time and I'm really happy with it. I done some recent improvements
and I decided to share the result with the Community.
Any comments or suggestions, welcome.

The Intellisense plugin can be downloaded by following this link:
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/5-open-sources

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
--