We're Funding LiveCode For the Web

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 16:31:00 EDT 2014

> My concern is that it have local, in-memory SQLite wherever it happens to
> be running, whether that be the browser or the server.
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.

It's running in the browser, with the LiveCode engine compiled to
JavaScript. Compiling SQLite to JavaScript and running it locally in the
browser is not a great option - how will you reliably persist the data
and keep decent performance? Not that there aren't JavaScript based DB
solutions that use local file storage.

Sadly the web standards folks messed up here. Web SQL was effectively
killed because Mozilla and Microsoft refused to implement it. IndexedDB
looks like the option that everyone eventually agreed on but it's not
implemented everywhere yet. I suspect it will be fairly widespread by
the time the HTML5 deployment option is complete though...

--
  Mark Wilcox
  mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk