OT-ish warning: Apple is still using Mac Roman

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 09:52:45 EST 2014

Well, this horse is nearly dead, but perhaps a tiny bit more flogging might be of assistance.

I have done a few more experiments, and strange as it may seem, they kind of work. If for example you use Pages to write a string containing some well-known Mac Roman 'specials', say pi, square root sign, divide, less than or equal to, greater than or equal to, and copy that string to the Mac clipboard, if you then go to the PC side of things (I'm using Parallels to do this) and paste into NotePad or indeed a LiveCode field, you see the same glyphs. What I am not entirely sure of is whether all these actually have the same encoding as they did on the Mac, so more research needed, but at least they **look** the same. I could have sworn that when I tried this yesterday it didn't work, but there you are. So there is some hope for cross-platform text manipulation after all.

Still faintly puzzled.

Graham