OT-ish warning: Apple is still using Mac Roman

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 07:55:01 EST 2014

Thanks Richmond, good observe as the Scots say (do you say it? RLS did.)

In my case saving to .doc or any other format isn't on, because I can't predict what my users will do: if someone thinks a dash is a minus sign, then they will copy it regardless - I can't give them elaborate instructions to do an export - they would be ignored, and anyway they wouldn't be in the spirit of "just do it" which this app promotes. I just have to make sure the pasted text that comes into my LC app is more cleverly treated (see my reply to Paul DeRocco, just now). Since it's cross-platform, I also have to accommodate both PC and Mac ways of doing things.

It is quite likely that I did muck up the original input, but more testing and sweat will sort it out, now I know what the issue is.

Thanks again

Graham

On 30 Jan 2014, at 08:52, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/01/14 23:40, Graham Samuel wrote:
>> I'm using LC 6.5.1 on a Mac with Mavericks. Recently I was given a Pages document with some text I needed to paste into a LiveCode desktop app.
>
> You can, save from Pages into Microsoft's ubiquitous .doc format.
>
> My younger son, who stays in Germany and uses a MacBook, sent me a pages document in that format, I then opened it
> on Linux with Libre Office, and everything came through clearly. So:
>
> 1. Pages works with the MacRoman standard and converts this to Unicode when it saves to .doc.

Yep, but not when it saves to the clipboard (Copy or Cut).