RegEx for Removing Non-Ascii Chars Except Certain Whitespaces

Ender Nafi Elekcioglu endernafi at keehuna.com
Wed Jan 29 10:00:07 EST 2014

Hi all,

I’m a little embarrassed to ask this question for two reasons:
1. I should have known sufficient regex, every coder should.
2. I should have found the answer online, every coder should.

But apparently I couldn’t and I’m struggling for quite a time; please, excuse my ignorance.

I need a RegEx for the below substitution;
Input:
(everybody-should-know-this and this”/‘
Output:
everybody-should-know-this and this

The statement should clear all whitespaces and non-ascii chars except dash and space.
Here is my current code:

_replace space with “nqpSPACEqpn” in tParams
_replace “-“ with “nqpDASHqpn” in tParams
_put replaceText(tParams, “\W”, “”) into tParams
_replace “nqpSPACEqpn” with space in tParams
_replace “ nqpDASHqpn” with “-" in tParams

I’m sure it can be done with a single line of code something like
_put replaceText(tParams, “*** regEx excluding space and dash here ***”, “”) into tParams

Thanks for any help…

Best,

~ Ender