Character Encodings

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 06:01:27 EST 2014

On 26/01/14 12:44, Richmond wrote:
> http://kunststube.net/encoding/
>
> It's not "Indian Jones and the Holy Grail", but it might just be one
> of those tiles in the cave leading to the grail
> that doesn't crumble away under foot and plunge our hero into
> everlasting something-or-other.
>
> Richmond.

"Why in God's name are my characters garbled?!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lila_%28Hinduism%29

"It's really simple: /Know/ what encoding a certain piece of text, that
is, a certain byte sequence, is in"

A very fine sense of humour, this chap has.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

"This particular wheel does not need reinventing and any mainstream
programming language
includes some way of converting text from one encoding to another
without needing to think
about code points, pages or bits at all."

AND . . . the inevitable questions that come out of that statement are . . .

1. Where is Livecode's 'thing' for converting between text encodings?

2. How "mainstream" is Livecode, and if it is not mainstream is it
moving towards that position?

3. If Livecode does not have a 'thing' for converting between text
encodings is one on
     RunRev's "to-do" list?

"there's virtually no excuse in this day and age not to be using Unicode
all the way."

Yes, indeed, and we should all be well aware, and pleased, that Livecode
7 will be 100% Unicodey!

This: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.iconv.php

Looks "dead sexy", and I wonder if somebody cannot roll that into
Livecode????