[OT?] Bad news???

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 14:14:23 EST 2014

On 25/01/14 16:08, Richmond wrote:
> On 25/01/14 03:39, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>> Well, if RunRev decided to promote among students
>> an Award for Excellence in the creation of multimedia
>> projects using LiveCode (like ISTE's Multimedia Mania...)
>> would be easier to find LiveCode's evangelists.
>>
>> http://www.ncsu.edu/mmania/
>> http://www.ncsu.edu/mmania/mm_docs/mm_judge_rubric2.html
>> http://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/static_resources/1413004628/5287/app12_7.pdf
>>

>> By the way, I was a judge in Multimedia Mania 2004
>> and many schools send excellent multimedia projects.
>>
>> Al
>>

>> --
>
> Sadly 2005 appears to have been the last time that competition took
> place.

Possibly the world has changed since 2005, and possibly for the better.

All the software listed for those competitions seems to be commercial,
closed-source software; and I don't know whether that
software was purchsed by the schools or by the parents. Notwithstanding
that would, inevitably, result in social exclusion in a way
where children are penalised for the fact that their parents cannot pay;
and that is not good.

It would be perfectly possible to do all the stuff that is listed there
using Open Source and/or Free software on an Open Source
operating system today on some fairly tatty second-hand computer, and
that has to be good.

Here's a list of software which might prove useful for school children
to use [most of these have versions for Windows and Macintosh if
their school/parents feel "all funny" about Linux] which cost nothing:

Runtime Revolution Livecode

GIMP

Inkscape

FontForge