[OT?] Bad news???

John Dixon dixonja at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 07:49:10 EST 2014

Richmond...

I couldn't agree with you more...

A couple of years ago whilst reading one of my daughters school reports, a line in the report about what progress she was making in 'ICT' made me spit the tea I was drinking at the time as I read...'Jenny will do very well in her next MS Word exam...

I took the teacher to task on this and asked why they only taught 'MS Word' & 'MS Excel'. After getting through all the waffle about this was expected by future employers... that these were also 'life skills' that would help them at college or university, I came to the conclusion that the only code this 'excuse' for a teacher would ever comprehend was the pin number for his bank card... and left the building as I could feel expletives building up in my mind.

I took it further and went to see the local county council's education department regarding the teaching of 'ICT' to my daughters... to say they were not interested would be an understatement... one 'council offical' even proclaimed proudly that he had never written one line of code, wouldn't want to... but pointed out to me in more or less the same breath that he and his 'team' knew the correct methods to teach our children...

I asked if they could set some time aside so that I could show them what the x-talk languages and 'liveCode' were all about and how they could excite the children into learning something about computing by actually building little programs instead of learning how to write their CV at twelve years of age !...

They had absolutely no interest in seeing something, which to them would have been new... unfortunately, this time the expletives burst forth, moments before I stood up in disgust and left the building...

Dixie