[OT] Mavericks Auto Save and Red Traffic Light plus Back Dot

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 18:16:21 EST 2014

That's good info, but IMHO the whole business of removing "Save As..." and forcing the user to make a duplicate and rename it (or use Time Machine) in order to secure a particular revision of a document so as to allow rollback, is clunky. I think Apple wanted the saving to work the way it does in iOS (and for that matter, the way it did in HyperCard), but I can't imagine someone preparing a meaty document finding the current functionality easy to understand. The LiveCode IDE still has "Save As..." and long may it continue, say I.

I have often been caught when writing say a Pages document (this goes back to before Mavericks) to find a tentative revision on my part (just to see if a page design looks good for example) has been autosaved and has thus zapped my original. Maybe I am slowing at learning new tricks - certainly I am a pretty old dog.

Graham

Does anyone love the current Apple