smooth scrolling

John john at onechip.com
Sat Jan 11 15:59:10 EST 2014

   I see the way in which fields scroll (particularly with something like a magic mouse) as an issue.  They don’t “feel” right and, in the app produced, users do notice.  In fields with a lot of text, the field jumps in large increments.  It looks bad and I do get feedback that the field is hard to read because of the “jumps”.

   If you have a fixed length field that is not too long (or short) you can script your own scrolling by capturing the rawKeyDown message.  The length of the field plays into this because the message fires just infrequently enough that the information you need isn’t there.

   I am really hoping that when cocoa is fully implemented we will get native fields with smoothly scrolling and, please, OSX style spell checking.  I fear that may not be the case due to a desire to have things be cross platform.

   So, please do file a report.

Thanks,
John